Friday 24 December 2010

New Garden Ticks

Exiting day today, without going to far. Walked into the Local village to get the last of the Christmas Shopping and some bird food. Its freezing out there!!!
Anyway, on the way back my Grandma spotted a tiny Coal Tit hunting for food in a snowy hawthorn bush. I felt so sorry for it, and with these temperatures, I think rightly so. Further on we spotted a bird that is 'unusual' in my are- a female Bullfinch, again in a Hawthorn. In the past 6 years I have seen 6 individuals (counting this one), so a fair rarity!
As I was watching the feeders a large flock of birds (maybe 50?) flew over my estate and 3 dropped down into my garden. WAXWING!!!! They stayed there for about a minute, giving ok view from the top of the tree. I have seen afew this year, but these gave the best views and they were in my garden!
We then put some more food out- small amounts of bread, Raisins, Apple Oranges and some seed. Almost instantly this brought in Garden tick No. 2- Jackdaw, the first actually in the garden. There was a pair, flanked by 2/3 rooks, 12+ Blackbirds, Woodpigeons, 2 Dunnocks, Robins and finches and tits. A good day considering there was no birding intended :)

No comments:

Post a Comment