Thursday 23 December 2010

REDPOLL TROUBLES!!

Nice walk at a new reserve for me, RAINTON MEADOWS DWT, with my Grandparents and Mum.
Started late, and we ddin't get there until about one. We began our walk with what sounded like a single waxwing calling, though we could not see it. We headed to the hide and began scanning over the pool, but it wsa frozen over and there was no sign anything was there, or had been there, so we headed off (although a had scanned the reeds!)We started heading down into an area of trees in search of our target bird, Mealy Redpoll. We soon spotted a large flock of mixed finches furhter on, so we headed over quick. When we caught up with the flock, we met another birder who showed us where they had landed (THANKS!) and told us this was the large flock that was mainly Mealy Redpoll that had been spotted! I soon picked out quite a few of these beauties, which are paler than the commoner (In Britain anyway) Lesser Redpoll and soon picked out some birds that were clearly Mealy, including an Adult male, with a bright red crown, chest and onto its belly. for the competition, this was my 246th bird of the year, but on my personal list it was my 251st. This was all fine, but I soon came across my first ID problem. A Bright white Redpoll flitted into sight, showing a low levels of streaking on the flanks, belly and back (including head and neck). I imediatly thought that this bird was different. Then it gave me a flash of its rump, and it seemed really pale, with little streaking. The bird soon flew of without giving me good views of its face or undertail coverts so I couldn't be sure which species I was looking at. Along with Redolls I had brilliant views of Siskins and Golfinches which were feeding along with them. I turned back, and i saw a single Roe Deer runnig across the far hillside with a blizzard close behind. Magical.

I'll have to find how to put pictures on here, I don't know how yet, although I haven't been on that many times. Advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment