Tuesday 28 December 2010

Ringing and Rares

Went out ringing with my trainer yesterday, in Yorkshire, amazing day, and considering we didn't have many nets up, quite a few birds. Heres the total-

7 Coal Tits
3 Blue Tits
2 Great Tits
1 Robin
1 Long Tailed Tit
1 Redwing- My 3rd
1 Great Spotted Woodpecker-my 2nd
1 Brambling- my 1st
(BTW thats my personal total)

Today I was out late, and headeed to RSPB Saltholme.
We went straight to the Wildlife Watch point and saw the Water Rails- one bird was on show nearly the whole time I was there. STunning birds, they come out and feed on Bananas put out by the wardens when the pools freeze over, and there is a considerable amount of them in the area. We then started heading up towards the Owl watchpoint> On the way we were told that a BITTERN was showing well on the way. It gave brilliant views, and apparently had been there for TWO HOURS fishing and feeding.
The owls showed well two- One on an exposeed branch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment